2014年7月23日星期三

Today we made a joke and I made a joke

     This afternoon, as I mentioned in the previous blog, we got the door of the bathroom locked somehow and just couldn't open the door. Actually we find the door of the bathroom has no key at all, usually we can lock the door from inside when we are in the bathroom, but today because maybe one of us locked the door from inside by mistake before he/she went out of the bathroom, then a blast of wind shut the door and locked it. Although we tried many different ways to open it from outside, we failed. Frustrated, I and Joana went out of home to seek help from our neighbor.  The guy living in the house next to ours happened to be painting the porch of his house. I approached him and then asked, "Excuse me, sir. We are our next-door neighbor, can you do us a favor? Our door of the bathroom was locked, we just couldn't open it. "  Joana than added " do you have a ladder?" She planned to put the ladder under the window of the bathroom and have someone get into the bathroom and then open the door.The young guy answered very readily, "let me check, maybe we can find a way to solve the problem." Then he followed us to our apartment. After he examined our door, he inserted something like a big coin into the center of metal handle and then turned about 90 degrees of the center of the handle and opened the door immediately. We were very surprised, we didn't try the easiest way! We all made a mistake! We just tried the difficult and complicated ways which we usually adopt back in China, but didn't realize we should observe a little more carefully and try the simplest way!
       In the end, I made a joke too. After the neighbor was about to go back home, I found it necessary to offer him a cup of juice, so I asked him " Do you want to have a drink?"  Our neighbor asked, " you mean having beer or ( a word I didn't hear quite clearly but probably meaning wine or alcohol ) outside?" I soon realized I made a mistake, I said "juice, juice". After the neighbor was gone, my roommates made fun of me for this joke. From now on, I must pay attention to my choice of words. "drink" does not mean juice or soft drink, it may mean beer or alcoholic drink.

1 則留言:

  1. What a great example of neighbors helping neighbors! And what a funny cultural misunderstanding over the simple word, "drink"! It's amazing how such small words can have so many meanings :-)
    I'm glad you got the bathroom door open.

    回覆刪除